2012 marks the 125th anniversary for the City of Brighton. Incorporated in 1887, the city’s history dates back to 1881 when Daniel Carmichael, a Denver real estate agent, began buying land here and named the town Brighton in honor of his wife’s birthplace, Brighton Beach, New Jersey. On July 26, 1887, the town of Brighton was officially incorporated with a population of 175.
The town’s eventual growth was partly due to a new road that ran from Box Elder through Brighton to Boulder (what is now Highway 7 and Bridge Street in Brighton). In 1904, Adams County took over that section of Old Arapahoe County and made Brighton the county seat.
Now, with more than 33,000 residents calling Brighton home, our roots as an agricultural hub has transformed into one of the fastest growing cities in Colorado. We continue to grow and attract more businesses and employers, while maintaining the small town charm that has kept families here generation after generation.