As Platte Valley grows, so do the needs of those who may need an interpreter. Here is a recap of the options available to you when an interpreter is needed:
- For SPANISH language needs during regular business hours Monday through Friday, the hospital interpreter is the FIRST
- If no answer at ext. 1905 (it also dials the spectralink phone ext.), then PLEASE send a page to let the interpreter where she can reach you as soon as she is able to.
- If after 5 minutes the Spanish interpreter has not responded, please use one of the alternative options listed below.
- The PVMC operator can confirm if the Spanish interpreter is in house.
- The next two options are the Stratus iPad video (located in the main clinical departments) or…
- The CLI telephone interpreters which you can reach at 1-888-304-0761.
- The next option is any associate whom has been qualified by PVMC to interpret in their individual units.
Family should NEVER be used for medical situations (unless the patient and/or family have specifically asked not to use an interpreter). In these circumstances, please make sure to document the refusal for use of interpreter services in the patient’s medical record.
Have you been having problems with accessing an interpreter by video or telephone? Do you know whom to call, what to do or what other options are available? Below are some tips that can help you:
- If you are using the video service and the iPad is not connecting please make sure the Wi-Fi is set to “SCLHS” and not PVMC.
- Try rebooting the iPad if it seems to be “stuck”. In order to avoid delays, get the interpreter on the screen before the provider needs to speak to the patient.
- On occasion, the video and telephone interpreters may take a couple of minutes to respond but should not take longer than this, if you see that it is taking too long, hang up and redial.
- If calling the phone interpreter and it rings continuously with no answer, hang up and call again.
- You can ask for a gender specific interpreter in most cases (this may depend on the language needed at the time and availability).
- If any issues with the iPad, please contact Stratus Customer Service at 1-855-663-1231. SCLHS technical team does NOT service the iPads.
- If there is static when speaking to the telephone interpreter, ask if they are using a headset and if they can turn it off, this can resolve the static in most cases.
- For ED department: if you are missing a dual handset black phone in one of the treatment rooms, please contact Lidia Puga at 303-498-1905 for replacement.
For ANY and ALL interpreter concerns (i.e., misinterpretations, loud background noises, etc.) please report as soon as possible to Lidia Puga at 303-498-1905 or email at Lidia.Puga@sclhs.net in order to address these issues in a timely manner. Thank you for your assistance in providing excellent care always.
A few changes are coming in the New Year. One of them is the department accounting codes used for accessing video and telephone; it will change from a four digit code to an eight digit number. Please make sure you know your department code and that you are providing this to the video or phone interpreter starting January 1, 2018.
If you have any questions, please contact Lidia Puga at 303-498-1905.