Tornado Watch: When PVMC is in a tornado watch area as notified by National Weather Service Radar Loop, there will be an overhead page stating: Weather Alert – Tornado Watch – Please remain in the building and await further instructions.
- Staff should close blinds in patient rooms and prepare for movement if there is a Tornado Warning.
- Consider putting shoes on patients that can ambulate and converting all IV’s to Saline Lock if possible.
- Visitors should be asked to remain inside the building until the Tornado Watch expires.
Tornado Warning: When PVMC is in a tornado warning area as notified by 9 News Weather Call and the National Weather Service Radar Loop. This means the hospital is in imminent danger secondary to the proximity of the tornado and the following should be done immediately.
- Overhead page stating: Weather Alert – Tornado Warning – Patients return to your rooms immediately. Visitors remain in the building and move away from the windows. Staff implement safety procedures now.
- Move patients out of their rooms and away from windows. Close the door when the room is empty. ICU patients can be moved to the PACU/Pre-Op area. Respiratory Therapy and House Sup should report to ICU to assist with any transfers.
- Surgery waiting area staff should send visitors to the ICU waiting room.
- Hospital visitors need to be directed to conference center or meditation center. Security should assist with visitors
- When “all clear” is given, return patients to their rooms.