Platte Valley Medical Center is committed to providing positive patient experiences and this includes taking care of our patients’ belongings. Two policies describe our processes (Patient Belongings and Valuables and Lost and Found) please find them in the PVMC policy system on the PVMC Landing page.
Here are some important points to remember:
- Encourage patients to leave valuables and belongings at home, or have them taken home, when possible
- If an associate takes responsibility for valuables or belongings; such as placing them in a safe in ED Admissions or storing any items for the patient, the patient must be given a receipt.
- Use the paper Clothing and Valuables Record and envelope to create the inventory
- Place the original form (white) in the medical record (and scanned), give the copy (yellow) to the patient as a receipt.
- Emergency Department: Use the Clothing and Valuables Record and envelope to create an inventory of belongings
- Admitted patients: Documented belongings in the electronic medical record.
- Use the patient belongings tab to document valuables including medications, glasses, dentures, canes, etc. If items were placed in the safe note that in the belongings disposition section
- Transferring patients: The receiving unit confirms the patient belongings tab documenting the inventory of belongings is complete and accurate, paying particular attention to confirm assistive devices (hearing aids, glasses, or dentures) are with the patient. The belonging disposition section should reveal if documents have been placed in the safe
Lost and Found
- Place found items in a patient belongings bag, label with date, time, location, and person name who found the items or and with a patient label if known.
- Give found items to Environmental Services Staff AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, when found. (Ask Environmental Service staff to take the items to the Plant Service Office.)
- Do NOT keep items in the unit where found- always get them to Environmental Services
Plant Service creates a log (saved to the G drive) which can be referenced by the Plant Services Assistant (extension1451), House Supervisors (1589) and Patient Relations Advocate (1560) to learn if items are in the Lost and Found area.