There are two phases of the severe weather notification that PVMC follows, a WATCH and a WARNING.
- A tornado WATCH is indicative of a severe weather event but no immediate event is imminent
- A tornado WARNING indicates an imminent weather event. It is announced only when a weather event has been localized or observed by spotters of local law enforcement
When a Tornado WATCH is announced overhead: (no imminent threat but indicative of a severe weather event and we are watching this closely)
Ask visitors to stay in the hospital until the tornado watch expires.
- Close blinds in patient rooms
- Determine what patients are ambulatory and who will need extra help
- Have patients put on footwear so that their feet are protected
- Change running IV’s to Buff Caps if you can
When a Tornado WARNING is announced overhead: (Hospital is in imminent threat for a tornado)
Move visitors to the meditation room or to the conference center if they are on the first floor.
- Move patients out of rooms and away from windows
- Close all patient room doors, even unoccupied rooms
- ICU patients can move to PACU if necessary
Making a plan for your family and your home is a very good idea. Your plan can include making sure you have a supply of drinking water, nonperishable foods, and that everyone knows to go to the basement in case of tornado warnings.
Your Emergency Management Team