Last week’s school bus accident in Hudson caused a flurry of media activity for the hospitals who received patients from the scene, including Platte Valley. We had a reporter show up in our lobby, one caught interviewing a doctor outside Medical Plaza 2, and a multitude of calls spanning four days.
Here are a few tips to remember the next time media shows up at our door or calls the hospital:
- All media inquiries of any kind must be directed to our Public Information Officer (PIO) in the Marketing and Communications Department. Please do not ever give media statements on behalf of the hospital on your own.
- Authorization is required for videotaping, photographing and/or interviewing patients in the hospital. The Marketing and Communications Department will work with the media to obtain permission on a case-by-case basis.
- A member of the Marketing and Communications Department must escort the media while on campus at all times.
- To protect our patients’ privacy, Platte Valley Medical Center adheres to the regulations set forth by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) for the release of patient-identifiable information and/or patient medical information.
- HIPAA privacy protections continue to apply to a patient’s medical information even after the patient’s discharge or death.
If you have any questions, please contact Platte Valley’s PIO Charmaine Weis at 303-498-1482.