The Epic 2017 Upgrade is scheduled to take place September 9-10, 2017. These messages are meant to help keep you informed about upgrade highlights and benefits, key dates, training, and what you can do to prepare. Please follow this link to The Landing to see more Epic 2017 Upgrade Communications.
Announcing the Downtime
- The eSummit with Epic 2017 Upgrade is scheduled to begin on Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 2030 MT/ 2130 CT and complete on Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 0500 MT/0600 CT.
- Downtime Start Time and Duration Information
- eSummit will be in lockdown starting September 4, 2017 – September 10, 2017 when eSummit is released to all users.
- eSummit will be unavailable starting Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 2030 MT/2130 CT until recovery is complete at approximately 0500 MT/0600 CT on Sunday, September 10, 2017.
- Shadow Read-Only (SRO) will be available during the system downtime and recovery period.
We are using the transparent upgrade process to upgrade to Epic 2017. During the “transparent lockdown” period before the system downtime for the upgrade, you’ll notice that you can’t make changes that customize certain aspects of your workflows. This is because the transparent upgrade process is updating related data behind the scenes while you continue to use the system.
The transparent lockdown period will last from Monday, 9/4/2017 at 0600 MT/0700 CT – Sunday, 9/10, 2017 until the upgrade is complete at 0500 MT/ 0600 CT.
Applying filters in workqueues
- What to do: If you see an error message when attempting to add or edit a filter, close the error message and continue your workflow. The changes that you made before the error message appeared aren’t applied to your workqueue. Use your workqueues as they’re currently set up and make any needed changes after the upgrade.
Creating or editing SmartPhrases and Smartlinks
During the lockdown, you won’t be able to create new SmartLinks and SmartPhrases or edit your existing ones.
- What to do: Type the text that you want to appear instead.
After you click and update settings or edit the components of a Radar dashboard, an error message appears when you click Accept.
- What to do: Close the error message and continue working in Hyperspace. You won’t be able to make your changes until after the upgrade.
Creating, Editing and Sharing Notewriter Macros
If you click attempt to create a macro or save changes to a macro during the lockdown, an error message appears. Additionally, the Owners/Users tab in the SmartBlock Macro Editor is read-only during the lockdown, so you can’t add owners or users for the macro.
- What to do: Wait to make your changes, create macros, or share macros until after the upgrade.
Moving your notes
You cannot move the Notes activity to a floating window or sidebar or set other note preferences during the lockdown.
- What to do: Wait to move the Notes activity until after the upgrade.
Creating or editing Quick Actions
When you create or edit a QuickAction in In Basket, an error message appears indicating that the QuickAction is locked. Note that there are two different error messages that can appear.
- What to do: Wait until after the upgrade to create a new QuickAction. Continue to complete the action as you did previously. If you need to edit a QuickAction before using it again, you might need to complete the action without using the QuickAction until after the upgrade.
Saving SlicerDicer Sessions
When you save a SlicerDicer population or session, an error message appears when you click Save Session, and the session isn’t saved.
- What to do: Continue working in SlicerDicer, but be aware that you can’t save your work until after the upgrade.
If you have questions or encounter any issues completing a workflow during the lockdown, contact TAC at 303-866-8282.
The Epic 2017 Upgrade Command Center will be in effect 24/7 beginning on Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 0500 MT/0600 CT through Friday, September 22, 2017. Call the Command Center for Upgrade-related tickets / issues throughout the duration of the Command Center. You will have local support from your Clinical Informatics (CI) Team, Health Network Informatics (HNI) Team, Super Users, and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), as well as from the Systems and Technology Service Center (STSC). Your local CI/HNI Teams, Super Users and SMEs are your first line of support.
The Command Center at Golden Hill will be staffed by:
- Call Takers – entering tickets from associates
- Commander – organizing call taking effort
- Application Analysts – ready to address issues that arise
- EL&PD – ready to augment and deploy training materials
- Clinical Architects – one to triage command center tickets and another to work with informatics, analysts and EL&PD, assisting in changes and approvals as need.
While the Command Center is in effect, there will be daily huddle calls to discuss successes and outstanding issues.
- Acute Daily Huddle Call, 0900 MT/1000 CT
- Ambulatory Daily Huddle Call, 1200 MT/1300 CT
- RSC Daily Huddle Call, 1600 MT/1700 CT (Monday-Friday only)
|Timeline for the eSummit 2017 Upgrade
|December 2016 – April 2017
||Upgrade Release Note Review & Committee Reviews/Planning, Proof of Concept Build and Unit Testing
|June – August 2017
|June – August 2017
||Training Development & Upgrade Training
|September 9 – 10, 2017
||Epic 2017 Upgrade Go-Live
|September 10 – 22, 2017
||Epic 2017 Upgrade Command Center
This upgrade will help us continue to optimize eSummit with Epic and stay current in the ever-changing field of healthcare technology. The upgrade is critical for SCL Health to maintain good standing with Epic, meet government requirements and to provide the best care for patients. Epic 2017 will continue SCL Health’s efforts to provide consistent service across care sites through standardization with special attention to the people, processes, culture and technology of the organization.
For questions about the upgrade contact Terra DeLockroy at Terra.DeLockroy@sclhs.net, or your Clinical Informatics (CI) or Ambulatory Informatics (AI) Teams.
Thank you for your support as we prepare for this exciting upgrade!