Here are some of the benefits of running:
- Weight loss/maintenance-approximately 60% of people who start running do it to lose or manage weight
- Improve coordination-trail running on uneven terrain where one has to move side to side or jump over rocks can help train coordination of your legs and trunk
- Fight disease-it has been proposed that running can decrease the risk of stroke, hypertension and breast cancer
- Maintain and improve general health-running can help raise the good (HDL) cholesterol and it can encourage use of a higher percentage of the lungs that may otherwise go unused
- Gain confidence-it is said that runners gain confidence by going up and over hills/obstacles; it can provide feelings of freedom and empowerment and confidence in better body image
- Stress relief-running can allow you time to think, get rid of tension symptoms; speed work can help relieve feelings of tension and aggression
- Training the mind-running can help give you focus and determination; it may be the will or strength to get through a long run or determination to do the run when you would rather skip it
- Versatility-running is one of the few sports you can do just about anywhere; all you need is your shoes, unless of course you are a barefoot runner
- Help decrease depression-running can cause the brain to secrete hormones that improve your mood.
- Empowering the mind – Learning, storing new information and memories; can potentially stave off age related dementia.
For more information on running, visit these PT approved websites: