Feeling stressed and overwhelmed by your to-do list during this hectic holiday season? Take a quick break to calm your mind, focus on your breath and improve your concentration by performing tree pose. This yoga pose also strengthens your legs, lengthens your spine and improves balance and circulation.
- Stand tall with your weight on your right leg.
- Lift your left leg to position the sole of your left foot on your inner right lower leg.
- Press your left foot and right leg into each other as you rotate your left knee out to the side.
- Scan your body to make sure your shoulders and your hips are level.
- Press your palms together in front of your heart.
- Remain as still as you can, focusing on breathing slowly through your nose.
- After at least 5 breaths, switch to the other side.
- For an added challenge, you can reach your arms overhead.
If you’re looking for more yoga, join us in the conference center on Tuesdays, 4:45-5:20 p.m. and Thursdays, 12:15 to 12:50. Instruction is provided by Karen Vizyak, physical therapist and certified yoga teacher. A 10-class punch card can be purchased at the Physical Medicine Department for only $38, or you can pay a $4 drop-in fee.
Props will be provided, but you must bring your own mat. This is a fun, energizing way to improve your strength, flexibility and balance, reduce stress and increase your concentration for the rest of your day! All levels of experience are welcome. For more information, please contact the Physical Medicine Department (Suite 130), x1840.